Monday, December 24, 2012

Yummy Uhuru Pies, 2012

I stopped at La Farine Bakery, which we'll blog about soon, and then got some ground ginger at Safeway across the street and I met Wendy, a volunteer from Uhuru pies right in front of Safeway. Wendy was so nice and she told me about all the wonderful things Uhuru is doing in the community! Uhuru is selling all kinds of delicious pies to help fund a commercial kitchen and to support the African People's Education and Defense Fund, www.uhurupies.org.  I came home and put all my supplies down and tasted a piece of the sweet potato pie, it was yummy and not too sweet!

I've never made sweet potato pie myself, but I used to teach with a woman named Shirley who gave me a recipe and brought in some to taste.  I loved it then, and still love it now!


[Picture from http://apedf.org/programs/uhuru-pies/oakland/]

Resources:

Uhuru Pies
www.uhurupies.org
1-800-578-5157
Still available all day today, December 24th in front of  Claremont Avenue Safeway!

Pie flavors:  apple crumb, apple cranberry, berry, pecan, chocolate pecan, pumpkin, and sweet potato pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment