Sunday, September 13, 2015

Challah French Toast at Home

Yum!


My family loves Challah french toast!  I remember first having Challah at my grandma's house back in the midwest where I am from.  It was so soft and delicious, I was hooked!  I think Challah makes the best french toast, as it soaks up the egg.

Ingredients:

6 large organic eggs
1 1/2 cups of heavy cream, I use Clover organic whipping cream
2 tablespoons of vanilla extract without alcohol
1 large loaf of challah, sliced in at least 6 pieces
4 tablespoons of Organic Valley ghee (I get mine at Safeway) or unsalted butter
confectioner's or white powdered sugar for dusting over the challah
organic warmed maple syrup
optional:  strawberries or other fruit garnish

Directions:

1.  Whisk together eggs, heavy cream, vanilla in a medium bowl
2.  Place challah bread in a shallow baking dish to hold bread slices in a single layer, gradually pour over egg mixture over bread.  Also, the egg mixture can be poured over individual slices of bread on a plate.  Soak up to 5 minutes each side, depending on your time available.
3.  Heat butter or ghee in a cast iron skillet, let sizzle, then fry challah bread slices until golden brown on each side.
4.  After frying the french toast, I place in a glass casserole container in a warmed oven.
5.  Heat maple syrup
6.  When french toast is completed, sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with fresh fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment