Thursday, January 2, 2014

What is the difference between grain fed and grass fed beef? Love Marin Sun Farms!

Whenever possible, I work on feeding my family grass fed beef instead of grain fed beef.  Over the holiday, my friend asked if I knew the difference.  Grain-fed beef is the standard type found in the supermarket.  It comes from cows that are generally raised in crowded conditions, fed a diet of animal by-products, and treated with hormones and antibiotics to control illness.  Grass-fed cows, on the other hand, feed on pastures and are allowed to graze relatively freely.  Antibiotics and hormones are not generally used for grass-fed cows because they aren't crowded into confined spaces, and they roam freely and are healthier.  I think that grass-fed beef is a better option if a family can afford it, and is worth the extra money, especially if it hormone and antibiotic free.  It is also lower in calories and fat, and has more nutrients.

Whenever I can, I purchase grass fed beef.  My favorite place to shop right now is Marin Sun Farms.  The location in Point Reyes Station even has a restaurant plus butcher shop.  I usually go to the one in Rockridge.  They have a burger patty that is amazing!  Marin Sun Farms beef is advertised as being 100% grass fed and 100% pasture raised.

Resources:

Marin Sun Farms
Mailing Address
1040 Bryant Street
San Francisco, CA  94103
(415) 663-8997

Marin Sun Farms
Point Reyes Station
Butcher Shop
10905 Shoreline Highway
Point Reyes Station, CA
94956
(415) 663-1800

Marin Sun Farms Oakland Butcher Shop
Rockridge Market Hall
5655 College Avenue
Oakland, CA  94618
(510) 601-8997





No comments:

Post a Comment