Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Cookbooks - Good Morning Baking, by Mani Niall

I am sitting with a hot cup of coffee and a oatmeal sour cherry chocolate chip cookie at Sweet Bar Bakery on Broadway street in Oakland, CA.  This is my favorite bakery in Oakland, and also my son's favorite place to get a chocolate chip cookie with organic flour and a glass of organic milk!!!!  I love this place.  A few days ago I had talked to the owner and he told he that his dried cherries of the oatmeal sour cherry chocolate chip cookies come from Traverse City, Michigan!  Now, I know why this place reminds me so much of my childhood in Michigan.  Also, the owner and chef, Mani, spent his early years growing up in Michigan.

He has a new cookbook called Good Morning Baking!  It has delicious recipes to start the day.  As I looked through the book, I noticed the Strawberry-Rhubarb Turnovers which reminds me of the rhubarb pie my grandma used to make from rhubarb in her garden!  I will ask Mani if I can share this recipe on a future blog!

His book is dedicated to the memory of his father, George Brendan Nial, Sr. whose idea of a good morning began with soft scrambled eggs, crisp bacon, and black coffee.  My father, like Man's father, always had us start the day with a real breakfast such as eggs, bacon, pancakes, and biscuits!  In my dad's mind, breakfast was the most important (and tasty) meal of the day!  All  of us 4 children in my family grew up knowing how to cook eggs, bacon, and sausage, and we all have loved a great breakfast!

Sweet Bar Bakery has a delicious gluten free frittata for a breakfast choice, they also have breakfast sandwiches.  Coffee refills are free, too!

Resources:



Strawberry-Rhubarb Turnovers, from p. 71,
Good Morning Baking, Delicious Recipes to Start the Day
Mani Niall
Photographs by Erin Kunkel
Egg & Dart Publishing
www.egganddartpress.com
ISBN 978-0-9838595-7-4

No comments:

Post a Comment