Sunday, January 13, 2013

Outdoor ice skating in Marin, CA - Twinkling lights!

Yesterday I took my son to Marin on Ice which is located at the Northgate Mall in San Rafael, CA. We started out with a late lunch/ early dinner at Pandora Bread where they have yummy soup and sandwiches.

 During the winter I crave going outdoor ice skating as it feeds my soul and reminds me of my childhood.  I grew up in Michigan and we did not have any indoor ice skating at all.  During the winter, we'd go to a local lake, test the lake to make sure we wouldn't fall in, then shovel off the snow and that is where we'd finally ice skate.  Once the sun went down a little, we left quickly as it got colder and we had no lights.    It was gorgeous and cold! We then had to walk home.

 Last night as we were skating at Marin Ice  in the cold, and the twinkling lights were on that surrounded the rink, all was right with the world for a moment.  I could have been on a frozen late in Michigan ice skating with my son, or I could have been at a mall- it didn't matter.  It was a really great place to share the story of what it was like when mommy used to ice skate when she was small!  Plus, afterwards, we went to Peet's coffee and my son got a warm vanilla milk drink and I got a cup of tea!

Resources:

Marin on Ice
Dates open - November 10, 2012 to January 13, 2013
(Today is the last day of the season! The hours today are 12 noon to 10PM.  Stay at night to see the twinkling lights, it is so pretty.) A skate buddy is available to rent, which is only $5.00.
Cost- $15.00 per person which includes ice skating and ice skate rentals.
(There are no lockers, so leave valuable bags and purses at home.  There are simple wood cubbies for shoes and jackets.)

No comments:

Post a Comment