Saturday, December 15, 2012

safe at home in my bungalow with my son

Today, I sit here with my son in our bungalow, he's drinking hot chocolate and I'm drinking my Cole Coffee.  Yesterday, what happened at the school in Connecticut has left me scared and unsafe.  I wonder what is happening in the world where parents are not going to be a little afraid every time they drop their children off to school.  I hug my son and try to live in the moment.  The world is changing, and I'm afraid.  Yesterday the worst school shooting in the history of the United States happened while I was actually teaching.  I had several calls from friends and family on my cell phone, while I was innocently doing my job.  I pray for all the families, teachers, and other staff at the school.  My heart goes out to them, and just writing this brings tears to my eyes.  I read about a teacher this morning who hid her students in a class bathroom, calming them and telling her students she loved them until a policeman had to slide his badge under the bathroom door before she felt safe enough to let him in. The old concept of an elementary school as being a safe place will forever be shifted.  What will change so parents and children will feel safe?  How can we create more strict gun rules and have a more peaceful nation?  So many questions, yet today I have no answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment