Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas morning waffles- gluten free and regular


My son got a waffle maker from Santa Claus. He is is a true "foodie" at the age of 4!  My son got the Waffle Zoo Waffle Maker.  After my son opened the waffle maker, I had to find a recipe.  I know that pancake mix is different from waffle mix so I did some research.  One recipe I found is modified from Maria Cunningham's, The Breakfast Book.  
 Marion Cunningham's "The Breakfast Book". 

Marion's  Classic Waffles

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
2 tbs sugar
2/3 stick of butter melted
1/3 cup shortening (i just use veg. oil)
1 1/2 cups milk warmed slightly
2 eggs beaten
Mix all the dry and wet ingredients, without mixing the eggs ahead of time.   Pour into waffle iron.
 Set timer so you don't overcook.  

Gluten Free Waffle recipe with chocolate chips
I settled on a gluten free recipe I modified from Bob's gluten free pancake mix.
1 1/2 cups of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pancake Mix
1 large egg
3/4 cup of milk ( or cow, soy, rice, or almond milk)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
2 tablespoons or more of chocolate chips
Mix all ingredients and follow waffle maker directions as they may differ.

I also made homemade whipped cream for the waffles.  It is so easy as my mom has made it as long as I can remember and is so much better than store bought.  Mix half pint of organic heavy whipping cream (I like Clover organic or Strauss) with a teaspoon of vanilla and some powder sugar, use hand or electric mixer to whip, then modify ingredients if you want to add more vanilla or sugar.  We never use a recipe, but a tip is to smart out light on both the vanilla and sugar.
Yummy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment