Monday, November 21, 2011

Pumpkin Pie

I went to the Smith Family Farm with my son around Halloween (wonderful place to go in October with a child!).  We went on a hay ride and got to pick out pumpkins.  As a recent foodie, I've been looking at what kind of pumpkins you can actually use to make good pumpkin pie.  I went to the connected outdoor market and picked up a few sugar pumpkins.  Then, I went home and scoured all my cookbooks for a recipe using a real pumpkin!  

NOTHING.  

I then went to Whole food and looked at all of their cookbooks.  This is what I found from America's Test Kitchen, "All Time Best Holiday Recipes,"  from the editors of Cook's Illustrated:  "In numerous tests, we've found that very few tasters can distinguish between a fresh or canned pumpkin once it's baked in a pie.  The real problem is that a pumpkin, fresh or canned, contains a lot of moisture, which dilutes the pie's flavor." (p.88)

The recipe I used for pumpkin pie can either use fresh or canned pumpkin.  This recipe was delicious!  My son and I had so much fun making it too!  For this recipe, I used store bought pie shells from Whole Foods, but next time I'd like to try my own shell.  I also included the brands I prefer.

Pumpkin Pie (adapted from recipe from "All Time Best Holiday Recipes," Holiday season 2011)

1 cup of heavy cream
1 cup of whole milk
3 large eggs plus 2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (15-ounces) can pumpkin puree or 15 oz. fresh pumpkin puree
1 cup drained candied yams from 15 oz. can
3/4 cup (5 1/4 oz.) sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 recipe of single crust pie dough, partially baked  or premade crust

1.  Adjust oven rack to the lowest position, placed rimmed baking sheet on rack, and heat oven to 425 degrees.  Whisk cream, milk, whole eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla in medium bowl.  Set aside.  Combine pumpkin puree, yams, sugar, maple syrup, ginger, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in large saucepan; bring to sputtering simmer over medium heat, 5 to 7 minutes.  Continue to simmer, stirring constantly and mashing yams against side of pot, until thick and shiny, 10 to 15 minutes.

2.  Remove pan from heat and whisk in cream mixture until fully incorporated.  Strain mixture through fine-mesh strainer set over medium bowl, using ladle or silicone spatula to press solids through strainer.  Rewhisk mixture and pour into warm freshly baked pie shell or premade shell.  Place pie on heated baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to 300 degrees and continue baking until edges of pie are set and center registers 175 degrees, 20 to 35 minutes longer (center should look firm but jiggle slightly).  Transfer pie to wire rack and let cool to room temperature, 2 to 3 hours.  Cut into wedges and serve.

--Bungalow Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment