Monday, July 25, 2011

Coffee Table?

Many years ago, I bought a wooden coffee table.  The table included two small drawers for papers, etc.  It was one of my first pieces of what I thought of as "grown up" furniture, and I loved it.  

Over time, the drawers got stuck.  This might have been due to the summer heat or winter dampness swelling the wood.  At any rate, the drawers would get stuck.  I'd pull at them to reopen them.  Ultimately, this caused the handles to break off -- they were just that stuck.

I had trouble parting with the coffee table.  After moving out of my apartment and into our new old bungalow, it gradually became clear that the coffee table just didn't fit the room it was in.  We'd move it from room to room, and it would either be too big, too small, or not fit with the character of the room.

The question became -- what should we replace it with?

The coffee table now sadly sits in our garage.  In our next post -- replacing a coffee table with something that is not a coffee table.

No comments:

Post a Comment