Sunday, September 2, 2012

Grilling Chicken Wings

This week I tinkered a bit with our recipe for the marinade for our chicken wings.  We had run out of pineapple juice and didn't have time to run to the store to get more (I was starting to run up against our son's bedtime).  Pineapple juice is sort of the backbone for my wife's wings marinade.

Without the pineapple juice, I decided to risk salty wings and increased the amount of tamari sauce in the recipe to about 3 1/2 ounces.  Any more and I thought the tamari would overwhelm the wings.

I substituted honey for the agave nectar, which we were also missing.  The honey goops to the bottom of the marinade, and so you need to both stir it well and also be sure to thoroughly rub your baster in the honey goop.

I believe the marinade was a success.  In fact, I think it was a bit better than our standard recipe, which I think ends up being a bit too liquidy with the 6 ounces of pineapple juice.  It kept the wings moist, which is a key objective.  And it was tasty -- not too salty (though definitely not sweet).

No comments:

Post a Comment