Sunday, November 13, 2016

the dogs who found me by Ken Foster -- Recommended Book

I just finished the book, "the dogs who found me," by Ken Foster.  The description of the book on the back cover, seen below,  and the picture of the beautiful dog on the cover!

     "Now regarded as a classic in dog literature, Ken Foster's memoir chronicles his journey from first-time dog owner to rescuer- and all the lessons and mistakes he made along the way.  Bookended by the tragedies of 9/11 and the Hurrricane Katrina, Foster finds that dogs open his eyes to the benefits of compassion, selflessness, and the chaotic beauty of living each day in the moment.
     Whether bearing witness to national tragedy, grieving the death of a friend, or dealing with his own mortality, Foster finds strength in his dogs, and in the reciprocal nature of rescue."

I loved this book!  For me, pets contribute to making a house a home.  Each house I've had, in the neighborhood a dog or cat has found me!  Ken Foster writes about how pets find us beautifully!

Featured in the front of the book is a poem from "Her Grave" by Mary Oliver,

"A dog comes to you and lives with you in your own house, but you do not therefore own her, as you do not own the rain, or the trees, or the laws which pertain to them.....

A dog can never tell you what she knows from the smells of the world, but you know, watching her, that you know almost nothing."

Recommended Book,

the dogs who found me

by Ken Foster
Updated Edition
Lyons Press
ISBN  978-1-4930-1767-6




No comments:

Post a Comment