Saturday, May 14, 2011

Berkeley Mills Saves the Day, Part I

A few years after we got our sofa from Berkeley Mills, we faced a different sort of old bungalow challenge.  We had just become parents.  Our home has two floors, and the master bedroom is upstairs.  The staircase is a winding sort of thing – not a tight circle, but essentially two sets of stairs divided around a corner that also has a stair.

The problem:  No railing going up the stairs. 

Carrying a baby up and down the stairs without a railing?  Bad idea, we figured.  My general lack of coordination plus the lack of sleep that accompanies an infant?  I feel woozy just thinking about it.
At the time I thought to myself, “this isn’t a big deal.”  I figured I could put brackets into the walls and put a long and thick stick-like “railing” up each of the two sets of stairs. 

I expressed this idea to my wife.  Luckily, she was not impressed. 

I didn’t have a better idea.  Luckily (again), my wife did.  She thought of calling Berkeley Mills to see if they could do some custom woodworking to build us a railing.  I initially thought that they couldn’t possibly be in that sort of business and, if they were, the cost would be prohibitively expensive.

I was wrong.

We worked with one of the owners of Berkeley Mills.  He looked at pictures of our stairway and came in to take some measurements.  


No comments:

Post a Comment